Sunday, January 16, 2011

Christmas Sandwich

I know it seems like it's been 10 years since my last post, but I've been busy with the restaurant and some catering jobs. The good thing is, I'm here now to share with you a recipe that I kinda invented. 

Like in most traditional Trinidadian or Caribbean homes, for Christmas we had ham, turkey, home made white bread etc. Days after Christmas we still had a lot of these things left over and if you know me, then you know that I absolutely HATE to waste food! Therefore, I decided to use it for something of my own. 

I woke up one morning for breakfast and I went to the fridge to continue my mission of NOT wasting food. I shredded some ham and turkey and fried them until it got crispy. Before doing that, I put a cup of water to boil with some vinegar and sugar. After boiling I poured it over a half of an onion chopped into rings. While the onions were being softened, I toasted 2 slices of the homemade white bread with a few slices of cheddar cheese, shredded cheese would work as well.  Next, I add a few slices of an apple and the now softened onions to a small sautee pan. To that I added a teaspoon of vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar to help caramelize the onions and apples. This took approximately 2-3 minutes to do. It was them time to assemble my sandwich. 

To the toasted bread and melted cheese, I added the crispy, ham and turkey and drizzled some left over cranberry sauce and a few drops of hot sauce over it. The caramelized onions and apples went on top and to finish it off, I added a few slices of avocado. I then added the next slice of bread and toasted cheese and pressed it down. 

I don't mean to toot my own horn here people,  but this sandwich was GOOD. The sharp taste of the cheese balanced off the sweetness of the caramelized onions and apples combined with the crispy texture of the bread and the "buttery" taste of the avocado, Mmmmmmmm...BESSSS. I still haven't been able to come up with an appropriate term or phrase to describe it. Its like that great experience you had in your life that you will never forget. That's the feeling I had after tasting that sandwich combined with a sense of pride. I don't have an official recipe but I hope that you will be able to use the information is this article to try this sandwich on your own. If and when you do, Plz help me suggest a name for my newest creation!  

No comments:

Post a Comment